Check out this recipe I put together for awesome Macaroni Salad. It's a great dish to bring to parties or for your outdoor BBQ! I love macaroni, egg, and potato salad and my favorite is my macaroni salad. My mom makes me make it for her ALL the time!
Creamy Macaroni Salad
Prep – 20 Minutes | Refrigerate – Preferably overnight
I love Macaroni Salad. I love it more when it's creamy, and a little tangy at the same time. I never used to like salads like Macaroni, Egg, and Potato but for the past year or so it's been an addiction of mine! My favorite is to make the macaroni salad. The best part about this recipe is how versatile it is. Add cold peas, matchstick carrots, or even celery to make it more yummy. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- 2 cups (about 1/2 lb) dry macaroni pasta
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1 half green pepper and 1 half red pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onion or green onion or red onion
- 2 tspn lemon juice or vinegar
- A generous amount of mayonnaise (about 1/2 cup)
- Pinch of paprika
- 1 Tbsp of yellow deli mustard
- 1 half of jalepeno chopped, or chili powder to substitute
- Start by boiling your macaroni about 8 minutes. After boiling put into a large bowl, rinse well with cool water and refrigerate about 10 minutes until ready to mix remaining ingredients.
While macaroni is cooking and cooling, put chopped onions into a small bowl and sprinkle 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar over them. This will serve to take the edge off the onions.
- Combine cooked macaroni, onions, and all other ingredients (including remaining 1tspn of Lemon or Vinegar) in a large serving bowl. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Cover and place in fridge for at least 1 hour before serving, better to leave it in the fridge at least 4 hours before.
Macaroni salad generally doesn't cost much to make and the cost per serving is very low. Making Frugal Recipes can be fun and certainly rewarding. I stock up on items such as Pasta (Elbows especially!) for my Macaroni Salad and other recipes I may need pasta for. You can find pasta's like elbows, spaghetti, penne, and more on sale at your local grocery almost every week! Publix here in Florida often has Mueller's and Ronzoni 10 for $10 or Buy 1 Get 1 Free making this part of the meal budget friendly!
This post may contain affiliate & advertising links. Clicking on these links helps support That Frugal Girl. Read our Disclosure for more information.